For the Past decade Tiny House Developments originally built as an effort to downsize and reduce the carbon footprint on the environment, have been erected on the outskirts of cities and towns across the country in tiny communities geared toward the homeless population.
WHO ARE WE?
We are Port Hope Delaware
A Dover based non-profit organization building an alternative style community for living simply, promoting health, kindness and respect for the environment. We are committed to the common goal of providing affordable living options to the most in need in our community.
- To increase housing diversity by enabling Tiny Houses Villages to be included in city and county zoning.
- To promote housing affordability and sustainability for all income levels by encouraging smaller homes.
- Provide an opportunity for the development of small, detached housing clusters.
- Combine character of single family housing with affordability and density of multi-family units.
- Increase affordable housing options for one and two person households.
- Provide opportunity for infill development (clusters of tiny houses that fit on standard residential lots)
- Allow for higher density standards in exchange for reducing impact by limiting house size.
- Create a new opportunity for no and low income individuals to have the opportunity for a sense of place, purpose and ownership.
- We have partnered with Victory Church on Forrest Avenue in Dover, Delaware for 3-4 Acres of Land!
- Begin Fundraising Campaign
- Site Preparation-involve potential residents in cleaning and working the land.
- Obtain consultation and input from police/sheriff and fire department for safety and well-being of the entire community.
- Secure infrastructure services (water, sewer, power, communications)
- Complete building plans and begin to build the houses.
- Develop intake and assessment forms to process volunteers and potential residents.
- Set up Sustainable food production Small Orchard and garden.
- Develop a self-governing community model.
- Form a council of residents and Port Hope Village leaders for village admission including security, site maintenance, garden developement and fire protection, etc.
Housing First Works
Housing First is a proven method of ending all types of homelessness and is the most effective approach to ending chronic homelessness.
The Housing First model offers individuals and families access to permanent housing quickly without pre-requisites such as sobriety treatment or a clean criminal history. Housing First is an approach that emphasizes sable, permanent housing as a primary strategy for ending homelessness.
Housing First approaches are based on the concept that an individuals first and primary need is to obtain stable housing, and that other issues that may affect the household can and should be addressed once housing is obtained.
This is a whole new way of approaching the problem affordable housing for no and low income. With cooperation from the city, the county and the residents of our Big Village, we can create a Tiny House Village and offer the un-housed permanent solutions of supportive and affordable housing.
For information and to get involved call:
Port Hope Delaware
Cathi Kopera at 302-943-7633
Sue Harris at 302-423-6049
Visit us on Facebook at: Port Hope Delaware